Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ain't no party like the Democratic Party, cause the Democratic Party don't stop.

Dre and I hit up the Xcel Center in St. Paul tonight for Barack Obama's Democratic Party Candidate Nomination Party (or BO'SDPCP).
Got in line (a, literal, mile-long line) just after six. Dre and I were stationed at Minnesota and 4th Street. We laughed, we kanooled, we talked politics and people watched. We ate Quiznos in line and slammed Starbucks.  I can't believe the Xcel could hold everyone in line. The sight of people queing in line stretching around skyscrapers was something I'll never forget.
Dre and I both had the sense that we were witnessing history. Amazingly, the loudest commotion was made by the street vendors who were peddling everthing Obama, and nearly every person I saw walk by were smiling (save for two detractors "Go ahead, hope and pray your spot in line will change," said Harley guy; and "You guys have zero chance of getting in there," said Cubbies fan). Well our hope for change paid off.  After a serpentine-like trek through Downtown, we finally made it into the X at about 8:45 p.m., along with 22,000 of BHO's closest friends. We sat just off-center in the third deck. Decent seats, good view of Barack and Michelle who entered to U2's "Beautiful Day" which was actually preceeded by Springsteen's "(Come on up for) The Rising." Trite, cliche, perfect political (especially liberal) song picks.
Obamaclinton?
Obama stated that he was happy to say he would be the Democratic Candidate for U.S. Prez. Clinton didn't conceed (yet) but it seems Bill and her staffers all but have.
While Clinton would likely accept a V.P. nod, Obama hasn't said either way who he'll choose. He did say something tonight though that made me think he might ask Hillary to be Health and Human Services secretary (the comment: "When we finalize universal health care, and we will finalize it for everyone, my friends, Hillary will have played a central role.") If you really want to read between the lines, you can speculate a cabinet spot. I just don't see him asking her to be V.P., though. She's already been to the White House and I assume he doens't want her looking over his shoulder telling him what furniture to steal.
He'll ask someone much more experienced than him. And likely someone middle-aged and white. Who has a clean, even outstanding military record. Basically, everything that he is not. Those are my narrow-minded, vague predictions. Hell, even Kennedy asked LBeffinJ, an ol' Texan coot as his V.P. to get Texas' electoral votes.
For the record: I am not a member of any political party and really don't have a leaning any way. I'm a pragmatist and I must tell you that Barack Obama is the definition of a pragmatic politician. I'm just wondering how he'll do when it comes to war.
X Marx the spot
I'll be frequenting the X a good bit, I'd assume, in the coming months. The venue is perfect for hockey, although I couldn't really make out what Obama was saying over the Beatles-on-Sullivan-esque screaming by young teenage girls and 45-year-old sweater-wearing DFLers alike.
I'm going to the Mouse on Thursday (at least I hope my media pass will come through) and will be covering the Republican National Convention there Sept. 1-4.
Modest Mouse question of the day: Who do band members support for President? Somehow I have to believe Isaac is disenfranchised with the politican system. However, I bet he digs that Barackstar is a (reformed) smoker.

No comments: