Monday, June 23, 2008

Back on the saddle: secret show; Bird man rises early at the Garden


NYT Mag documentation of Williamsburg June 20 secret show. Apparently Brock went "Nutso," which I've never seen in a headline before and didn't catch any reference to during a quick scan of "story."P.S. I saw Andrew Bird's soundcheck before Saturday's "Rock the Garden" (RTG) show and it made my year.
If you aren't familiar with his work, stop what you are doing and check out these selections from Armchair Apocrapher (2007). It'll most likely change the way you listen to all other music.
At high noon June 21, the first day of my 28th year, and the longest day of the year, Bird did just that.
I didn't have tickets to RTG, but the gates were open so Dre and I were treated (along with a handful of others) to "Plasticities" and "Fiery Crash." These performances Made. My. Year. Or at least my summer. I haven't been able to get the opening of "Plasticities" out of my head since. "This isn't your music. This isn't your song. How could you be wrong?" It all culminated in the craziest loop I've ever heard: Bird layed an A & B parts guitar lick; followed that up with a single bow-strum on his violin and then began his trademark whistling, as virtuosic as any of his many musical tools all while drummer (and Minneapolitan) Martin Dosh struck some Indian finger cymbal once and produced a light funk beat; as the rhythm guitarist laid this really fast droning accompaniment that was pumped through an apparatus that looks like two Victrola's spinning. That effect alone would push sound at you every other beat, culminating in this surreal event. Dre and I stumbled upon this scene as we were trying to go play mini golf next door. Happy Birthday to me, indeed.

No comments: