Friday, May 16, 2008

I read a lot of books on tape

I'm probably not going to get a whole lot of research done this weekend. Gig tonight at Dinkytowner, gig tomorrow at Shannonpalooza 3 (co-worker's house party, beer provided).
Still planning on the interview to run in Reveille before the June 5 show. However, I read an entry in Dre's "Harper's Bazaar" last night (don't ask where or why I was reading this), and the horoscope said "Accept that after the 26th inevitabilities will not be changed." WTF? Not sure what that meant, but I drank it down half-empty.
It's looking like, if anything, this interview will be a Pyrrhic victory.
As for the tour, MM is still planning on a June 5 stop at the Xcel Center opening for R.E.M.
• I'm wondering about MM's tour habits (why they are still using a bus, how that affects their dynamic, if the bus has a name, if they read a lot of books on tape ... that sort of thing) and whether this is the "biggest" and most lucrative tour yet (alone, they're charging $35 a pop before surcharges).
• The gigs with REM are sporadic - with the bands playing together for only about half of the dates between now and July 4. Odd. Can't really call MM "tour support" considering R.E.M. had never seen them perform live before. Interested in how all this came about. Also, I see they're playing Red Rox and a very special (meaning lucrative) gig here May 27.
On a personal, band-related note: We go on at 12:30 tonight for some reason. I gotta called "old" because I said that's pretty late. Then when you think about it, most bands go on a 10 p.m. AT THE LATEST, with most starting around 8:30. If you're Phish, DMB or George Clinton (whom I'm going to see at 1st Ave. May 27) you can expect a 3-hour show. Everyone else it's probably around 2. So FU all ya'll haterz.

No comments: