Wednesday, May 7, 2008

MM Blog Day 2: interviews, press passes, Foshay Foshow.

It was a gorgeous day in Downtown all day. Went up in the Foshay, and can honestly say, few views are better than the one I saw today. Spent a lot more time researching and on the phone than I probably should have. But I have to get the ball rolling, and I'm going to do this by getting an interview with Isaac or someone else from the band one way or another. I spoke briefly with Joe Plummer (second drummer); Jeremiah Green (original drummer) and Eric Judy outside the Orpheum Theatre last December. They seemed somewhat open to the idea of me writing a proper book on the band.
Anyway, today I ...
* Contacted the media personnel at the XCel Center in preparation of MM's upcoming tour stop in St. Paul on June 5. They've played in Minneapolis a total of 10 times over the past 10 years - and never in St. Paul. NME is reporting that they're headlining, however TicketMaster is still requesting $75 (R.E.M. prices). Weird. As far as getting that elusive pass, I'm apparently third on the list for a press pass behind the Star Trib and Pioneer Press, spokeswoman for the X said. Apparently it works like this - no later than 48 hours before the show I'll hear whether or not I have a press pass (which is actually just a ticket). 
The touring company (most likely TicketMaster) determines who gets press credentials. Daily newspapers usually get priority. 
My photog at the paper isn't available to go ... anyone want to shoot some photos of the show?
* Yesterday I contacted MM's manager, Juan Carrera. He was helpful, passing along my information to MM's press agent in N.Y. I e-mailed her and called saying I'd like to do a piece as a preview for their June 5 show. Followed up with a phone call - haven't heard back.
* So, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow from my favorite publicist. Here's their publicist's  site by the way. Kind of cool.
* After signing Mason Jennings to his burgeoning Glacial Pace Recordings (an umbrella of Epic/Sony) Isaac Brock has apprently lost the Minneapolis-based singer-songwriter to Jack Johnson's Brushfire Records label. Jennings' "In The Ever" is due out this month.
This is news to me, but apparently it's months old. According to a Feb. 21 on his MySpace, Jennings writes " We have been friends for years and this record seemed like a perfect one for them to put out. (Just a note to say that I am very grateful to my friend Isaac Brock and Epic for working with me on my last record. There are definitely no ill wishes there. A change just felt right.)" 
*Nonetheless, Brock and fiance/co-general label manager Naheed Simjee continue to work with Love As Laughter in the studio.
* Due to the apparent mugging of our music writer at the Downtown and Southwest Journals, I'll be taking over music duties, at least for the short term. This is in addition to my latest beat (bridges), not to mention my others (City Hall, County Board, Library Board, transportation, food features -- next up is Tank Goodness cookies (thanks, Heather)).
The unfortunate "accident" (it wasn't really an accident, it seems. dude has his face beat in, jaw broken, eye socket smashed ... so be careful walking south from Azia after dark) may, by some dark twist of fate, actually help my chances at interviewing the band. 
* On a lighter note, I'm trying to think of a good title for the book. So far I've got: "Spitting Venom: The story of Modest Mouse," as told to Steve Pease.
I really like the idea of including the phrase "as told to." I'm currently reading "The Tracker: The Story of Tom Brown, Jr." as told to William Jon Watkins. 

That's it. Goodnight and Good Luck.

No comments: