Monday, May 12, 2008

MMBD4,5,6,7: Apparently this isn't a daily publication

Update: Just heard back from MM publicist - she'll try to set the interview up. I have a May 29 copy deadline, so hopefully it's sometime before that. Still not sure who I will be interviewing, however. I've requested a MM press kit and any recent Glacial Pace releases.
In other Modest Mouse news (Ha!):
Joe Sr. brought up an interesting point I've been struggling with long before he brought it to the attention of this blog:
When interviewing someone you admire, whose musical style you admire, how do you remain objective? Furthermore, with someone as volatile as King Mouse Isaac Brock (a man who has twice publicly threatened to beat the ass of this guy after he wrote an unauthorized biography of the band -- compiled from magazine and print interviews) how do you ensure that what you write will be the truth and nothing but the truth?
The fact remains: we're all human. But I have a job to do. Whether or not Isaac, or the rest, prefer it, I will write the truth. Sometimes it is very hard. Sometimes I don't manage to keep my thoughts, feelings, impressions out of my writing - and sometimes (very rarely, though) that is warranted.
In an authorized biography, however, my thoughts, feelings, impressions, what I can glean would - for the most part - be left behind in editing. That is not to say I won't impart the sights, sounds, smells of (albeit indie) rock stardom.
Chapter title idea: Ungster suggested I name a chapter "Three-inch Horses, Two-Faced Monsters" after the tune on Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks. The tune is delta-blues inspired. Sounds like an offshoot of Ugly Casanova stuff. The album is an obscure one, but a very deep one. Probably as melancholic as the band gets. I like the idea.
To get back to the original point, I'll try my best to give an honest and accurate portrayal of my subject. To avoid, at all costs, becoming tendentious. Sure, I'll use "tricks of the trade" to persuade the boys in the band to lend me a hand, but it's not meant to be an expose or a snapshot in time. It's meant to be personal and comprehensive. I initially thought about it being a compendium of sorts.
Eureka!
Link

No comments: